Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Keeping An Eye Out




Lately I've been poking around some so-called roads up in the Collegiate Peaks between Buena Vista and Leadville.  I looked high, and I looked low.  Poking around is an art practiced for its own sake, of course.  But I also kept an eye out for a potential change of address.

It's not that there's anything particularly wrong with where I am.  Perhaps it is merely a matter of attitude. What seemed brooding and romantic down among the trees has transmogrified over a fairly short time into merely gloomy and drippy.  Without actually changing all that much.  It has rained almost every day for a week.

A view of the mountains...

What the campsite here in Cottonwood Canyon has, in spades, is solitude.  In all the time I've been here, I've had only two neighbors, and neither lasted more than a day.  I don't think it could have been my lack of social graces.  I only spoke to one of them, and that went pleasantly enough.  I've been out and about most of the time.  It's a mystery.


I have an errand over the next couple of days in Salida.  When that's done, I think I'll return to a different place.  Just for variety.  There's plenty of places to be, though internet access often does not pair with other fine qualities.

Here's some of the possibilities.  Feel free to weigh in with suggestions.

 I don't think so...

Below, I could be pushing it, parking in this guy's front yard.  But he hasn't been using it lately.

Along the Arkansas River


Everywhere I look, there's neighbors to deal with.  Me and Dan'l Boone.  But at least this one's across the river.

Again by the Arkansas.  

Then I went up a neighboring canyon.  Who builds a log cabin in a pond?  This one's my favorite, despite a complete Verizon blackout.

Up Clear Creek.

Unfortunately, the site is occupied.


Whatcha lookin' at?




No comments: