Saturday, October 2, 2010

One thing after another

It's just one thing after another.

I got behind posting here while traveling back to Texas.  Then I immediately had an operation on my left hand that interfered with typing.  And then yesterday, just when I was about to finish up and post 3 or 4 items, my brother was involved in an accident on his motorcycle while driving home from work.

He is in ICU, with compound open fractures of the right arm and leg, and multiple fractures of the face.  He had his leg set last night, and all is going relatively well so far, with no swelling of the brain and no internal bleeding.  He is being kept sedated, and I have not talked to him.  I am headed back over there right now.

I'll be back.  But it's going to be a little longer.  Wish him luck.



Aeagles said...

Prayers for you and your brother.

Kerry said...

I'm so sorry. I'll keep you and your brother in my thoughts!

Anonymous said...

Give yourself whatever gifts of time and rest you need to feel better.
Prayers for your brother.


eskimoblueboy said...

I'll be praying for your brother.

Anonymous said...

this wouldn't be the same brother who was giving you flack for how you were riding the beast would it?

though it sounds like a rather nasty accident it seems he is making progress and is in good hands - praying all of his injuries only leave minor scars.


Jennifer said...

I am so sorry to read this. You and your brother are in my thoughts and prayers.


Bob Giddings said...

I only have the one brother.

He is doing okay, considering the extent of his injuries. The next operation will be on Tuesday, to put his face back together. He has a Le Fort fracture type 3.

Basically there is a separation line from one temple to the other, passing through the eyes and over the nose. The part of his face which is below that line down to the jaw is loose. It will have to be pinned back together.

He also has extensive ligament damage in his neck and lower back. Some ligaments in the lower back were ripped off the spine and will have to be reattached. The attachment points were also damaged, and they will have to fix that.

OTOH, his spine was not broken, and his brain has only minor bleeding.

I don't expect him to be fully conscious for another week. They tell me he will remember nothing of this, both from natural shock and from the drugs they are giving him.

It is all beginning to sink in to me. He is going to have 6 months of hell, but I think he will recover. I'll probably be living over there for a while. And it being the first of the month, I need to pay his bills, but most of that stuff is locked up in his computer, so it is going to be hit or miss.

Meanwhile I am dealing with all the crowds of well wishers. I am surprised how tiring that can be. I slept 12 hours last night. Not by intention.

It is noon Sunday, so more crowds will be arriving after church, so I have to get on down there now and keep them from standing around his bed like it was a casket.

Thanks for your best wishes.


MaggieRae said...

I'm sorry to hear about the accident.. glad to hear he's doing well. Hang in there, both of you..

Kerri said...

Just found your blog while reading Andy's posts... Look forward to reading yours.

So sorry to find this post about your brother, and truly hope that he recovers soon.

Kerri in AL :-)

Jennifer said...

Just to let you know that I am still thinking of you and your brother everyday.


Aeagles said...

Hope the surgery went very well. Your brother is so lucky to have you around to run interference.

Andrea E

akaMike said...

Damn, Bob....I was looking forward to you catching up on your posts but sure didn't like
reading a story like that! My thoughts and best wishes are with you and your brother.


Max Duryee said...

From one biker to another, my very best wishes.
A good friend, retired police chief Carlos Leon, had an experience similar to your brother's.